First thing you’ll notice here is that I don’t recommend old-school benches with support arms to hold a barbell for bench pressing.
For one, if you’re using this at home, you may not have a spotter and shouldn’t use a barbell. You can bench press with dumbbells for a similar — some say better — feeling in the muscles. I don’t have anything against standard bench pressing, but personally, I stick to my Powertec Multi-System leverage machine for that because it’s got a built-in spotter.
If you’re going to barbell bench press at home, consider using a Smith Machine or Power Rack for spotting safety. You can easily slide these adjustable benches in and out of those setups.
- Dumbbell Bench Press
- Dumbbell Flyes
- Triceps Extensions behind your head
- Kneeling One Arm Rows for your back
- Dumbbell Curls for biceps
- And more…
I like these two from Rep. Compact and easy to move around. Heavy Duty at 1,000 pounds! Multiple angles available. This first one adjusts easily from decline to flat to various incline positions.
- Heavy-duty 1000 lbs rated adjustable weight bench, great for use with dumbbells smith machine, cage or power rack
- 54x26x17.5 inches. Pad measures 11.5 in wide at the shoulders. minimal pad gap between seat and back. 17.5 in high from floor to top of pad
- 7 ladder positions from 85 degree incline to -20 degree decline and 4 different seat position adjustments
- Vinyl covered rollers to keep your legs locked in place during decline work. Vinyl cover makes it easy to keep clean.
- 10 year warranty on frame, 30 days on pads. Rep Fitness is a REAL fitness equipment company located in Colorado, not just a distributor or importer like our competition! Our knowledgeable team of fitness gear experts is always here to help.
This one is also from Rep and also rated at 1,000. It’s very similar but does not offer decline positions. If you’re ok with that, you could save a few bucks going with it:
- Flat/Incline Adjustable Bench. Variable thickness, 14 to 4 gauge heavy-duty frame. Rated for 1,000 lbs.
- 50×11.75×17 inches
- 6 back pad adjustments, from flat to 85 degree incline. 3 seat pad adjustments, from flat to incline.
- Matte black powder coating, handle and wheels for easy transport.
Now, if you don’t need something quite so heavy duty, this one by Fitness Reality is an excellent bargain. Rated at 800 pounds, it’s still pretty darn heavy duty in terms of capability. And it adjusts easily to both decline and incline positions. Amazon rates this one their “choice” in this entire category. That’s partly due to the fairly stellar buyer reviews this gets.
- 800 lbs real weight capacity. User height up to 6’4 inch; Set up Dimensions: 59″L x 23.5″W x 48.5″H ; Carton Dimensions: 52″L X 17″W X 10″H .
- Smooth 12 position Adjustable backrest by utilizing 2 position front leg adjustment
- Backrest adjusts to -20 degree decline to +80 degree incline angles
- Detachable 3 position Adjustable leg hold down bar for additional stability during workouts
- Can be folded for storage. Folded size: 51″ L x 23.5″ w x 9″ H