An entire home gym in a small bag
Price Range: Typically in the $30 to $50 range.
Resistance Bands are a great option for anyone who does not want to join a gym or who can’t afford to outfit their home with lots of traditional equipment.
Plus, you can pack your entire gym in a small bag and take it with you anywhere you go. Today’s resistance bands are really quite remarkable.
One of the things I like best about them: they apply continuous resistance to the targeted muscle through the entire range of motion. That’s ultimately what builds muscle — constant tension.
In some ways, bands do it better than conventional weights or machines. The reason? It’s much easier to ‘cheat’ with weights.
It’s easier to get sloppy with a barbell and — instead of keeping constant tension on the muscle — let gravity take over at times to lower a weight. With bands, the tension remains even and constant.
But wait, you might be thinking these things are too wimpy to really build muscle. Well, not so fast. There are all kinds of resistance bands available, even some heavy duty versions that pack a lot of resistance. Plus, you can use more than one band at a time, allowing you to quickly and easily increase or decrease the tension.
I use bands along with weights
Personally, I use both traditional equipment and bands. I’ve been at this for a long time and have gathered lots of gear over the years. But if I was just starting out from scratch today, I would opt for a set of bands. For less than $50, you can get what amounts to an entire gym worth of exercises. You can always add to your collection from there.
I have 3 sets at home that both my wife and I use. They all provide a door anchor device that allows you to use the door as a mounting place to anchor the bands. We use our heavy front door, with a deadbolt lock, when we work out.
Most all will come with the necessary attachments: Door anchors that allow you to use a sturdy door as an anchor point for a wide variety of exercises. Ankle straps for lower body work and handles for upper body exercises. And you can adjust the amount of resistance by simply attaching more bands to the handles.
Check out my favorites:
Pinjian — Beginners. Heavy duty, made from quality rubber latex. Set includes Door anchors, Ankle Straps, Foam Handles, a Chest Expander, Exercise Guide and a storage bag.
This set does not include shorter bands, just one length. But that shouldn’t get in the way of doing a full body workout.
Pinjian bands are generally very inexpensive. Under $15 at times.
- Highest quality the pinion resistance band set is made of rubber latex
- The real deal our resistance bands come with all the possible accessories you’d ever need and more
- Portable the resistance band set is packed in a small storage bag and extremely easy to set it up for workout at anywhere(indoor/outdoor)
- Free bonus besides all the resistance bands and accessories, we also offer a $9 worth chest expander
Koyto — Intermediate. A great all-in-one package that includes shorter bands to focus on lower body exercises and all the accessories and handles you need. Includes an e-book workout manual. Typically lists for under $30. Click the picture to see the latest price.
- Includes 5 long resistance tubes (2-4 lbs, 4-6 lbs, 10-12 lbs, 15-20 lbs, 25-30 lbs), 4 short ankle resistance bands (2 x 10 lbs, 2 x 15 lbs), two foam handles with metal clips, door anchor, two wrist exercise straps with d-ring, two ankle straps with 2-d rings, and carry bag.
- A quality set with everything you need for a full body workout. Koyto offers a lifetime guarantee with a full refund if you’re not satisfied
Black Mountain — Intermediate pricing. Includes pretty much everything you need for a full body workout:
Black Mountain says:
- Bands included: Yellow (2-4 lbs.), blue (4-6 lbs.), green (10-12 lbs.), black (15-20 lbs.) and Red (25-30 lbs.). All bands are 48 inches in length
- This stackable set of resistance bands can produce up to 75 lbs
- Features a metal clipping System on bands for attachment to soft-grip handles or ankle straps
- Includes a door anchor, exercise chart, carrying bag, ankle strap and starter guide
- All Black Mountain Products come with a manufacturer’s Lifetime Warranty
GoFit Extreme Pro:
GoFit Extreme Pro Gym Set — Advanced and experienced. These are more hardcore for stronger bodies. And these are the bands I use most often. Has 4 bands that go from 20 to 50 lbs of resistance and can be combined for up to 140 lbs. You can also add to this set ala carte and purchase bands rated up to 100 lbs resistance. So, even if you’re experienced and pretty strong, this set can provide more than enough challenge to your muscles. Comes with a nice, laminated workout manual. Does not include shorter bands, just one length.
Not the cheapest. But if you’ve got some strength already, you’ll appreciate the extra ‘oomph’ these bands pack.
- Kit includes:
- 20lb tube, 30lb tube
- 40lb tube, 50lb tube
- 4 Premium Rubber Resistance Tubes: 20 LB(Green), 30 LB (Red), 40 LB (Blue), 50 LB (Orange)
- Resistance Tubes have extra thick nylon webbing, reinforced stitching and heavy duty metal connecting rings
- 2 professional grade handles with easy grip rubber with heavy caliber
- 2 door anchors with thick nylon webbing
- 2 reinforced and padded ankle straps and 1 professionally developed laminated exercise manual plus 1 bag